Save the Melksham Train
Archived Save the Train forum articles - 2005 to 2010. See below
Support Pledge - some statistics - 7644/12350
Written by admin (Graham Ellis) on Sunday, 18th May 2008

I've got a couple of meetings (including one that may be pivotal) coming up this week ... so I have been analysing the data collected from almost 500 (of whom about 60 have yet to confirm) respondents to our request for support at [url][/url].

Of the respondents, some 80% live in Wiltshire - specifically Melksham (25%), Chippenham (13%), Trowbridge (11%), Salisbury and Swindon (8% each), Westbury (5%), Warminster (4%) and Dilton Marsh (1%) with the remainder elsewhere in the county.

44% are daily Wiltshire travellers, and a further 20% travel most weeks. 22% say they travel "from time to time", and only 12% say they travel only occasionally. The final 2% would 'rather not say' or never travel in Wiltshire.

What do I make of these figures?  I'm impressed by how appropriate the signatures are - we have collected a whole lot of valid names of people who really would use the service which was / is exactly the intent.  And I'm impressed too by the spread around the various places served by the line.  Historically, around 25% of passengers used Melksham station and the other 75% passed through and that is reflected in the figures.

YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP - and please do so - via [url][/url] Thanks!

link to index of articles

Save the Train was the campaign to bring an approriate train service back to and through Melksham.

Most big contributors are still around writing at the Coffee shop forum where new members are very welcome.

The train has been saved - sort of - we have stepped back up from an unusable service to a poorish one but it's doing very well. We did that through setting up the TransWilts Community Rail Partnership. That fulfilled its early objectives; it has been taken over by local and regional government types who are now doing medium and long term work. The team from this forun can also be found at the Melksham Rail User Group (which was the Melksham Rail Development Group at the time these articles were written and we had no users.

We mustn't loose sight, though, that the train service remains poor and needs our community support in marketing and campaigning to keep it going in a positive direction ... and all the more so when we're expecting to find a different normallity once we get out of the Coronavirus Pandemic and head for zero carbon via the climate crisis. Yes, it's saved ... it's now a key community facility ... the need for enhancement and the strong and near-universal local support remain, and the rail industry and goverment remain slow to move and provide the enhancements even to level us up with other towns. Please support the Melksham Rail User Group - now very much in partnership rather than protest with the rail industry and local government, including GWR, TransWilts and unitary and town councils. And please use the trains and buses, and cycle and walk when you can.

-- Graham Ellis, (webmaster), February 2021

This site is hosted by Well House Consultants Ltd. (
Contact Information

Further Information:
 Current Summary
 Daily update
 User forum
 Service now
 Service future
 Future Analysis
 Recent Statistics
 Recent letters
 Letter to DfT
 Save the train
 Support us
 Other Maps
 Station facilities
 Station approach
 Trains diverted
 About Melksham
 Site Map
 About this site